Tuesday, March 22, 2011

3-22-11-Today




First, we went over homework. The similarities and differences of meiosis and mitosis are:

Mitosis
metaphase 1 the actual chromosomes are lined up
100% of DNA at the end
asexual
2 cells are created
(diploid cells)
(skin cell)

Meiosis
more steps homologous pairs
exchange DNA
(called crossing)
(prophase 1)
metaphase 1
homologous pairs are lined up
50% of DNA at the end
sexual
4 haploid cells created
(gamete)
(pollen,sperm, egg)

Similarities
reproduction
both divide
DNA chromosomes similar stages
meiosis 2 is similar to mitosis
both deal with chromosomes not pairs

Then, we did a class demonstration, the homologous pairs line up, then trade DNA with eachother. They split into four different cells. One cell has all Will, another one has all Carter, another one has half Carter half Will, and another with half Will half Carter.

That was our discussion today.


This is my 4th time blogging
Lexi P8

8 comments:

  1. Are there Homologous pairs in both Meiosis I and Meiosis II or just one of them?

    -Talya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure they are in both. I am not for sure though... sorry!


    Maddie Bedds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that homologous pairs were only in Metaphase I and chromosomes were in Metaphase II because the phases that have II are most like Mitosis because they are dealing with chromosomes.

    ~Erica Wirth~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was the other way around... that homologous pairs were in II... and chromosomes were in I...

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought they were in meosis 1 because didn't they like produce the haploid cells in that one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, well obviously I agree with myself, but Meiosis I deals with the homologous pairs.

    ~Erica Wirth~

    ReplyDelete